HOME     PROJECTS     THE TUNNEL     RAIL FLEET     MAPS     GEN. INFO     IN THE NEWS     ABOUT US     LINKS

 
New York Post
   
BROOKLYN TROLLEYS GET THE HOOK

December 2, 2003
By Gersh Kuntzman
NY Post Brookyn Borough Chief


A proposal to bring trolley service to the Brooklyn waterfront is being derailed again.

Bob Diamond, whose historic trolley cars were part of a now-scuttled plan to connect Red Hook to the F train, was served with eviction papers on Thanksgiving demanding he remove five trolleys from a pier where they have been housed since the 1990s.

The eviction notice gives Diamond until Dec. 31 to remove the cars, one of which dates back to 1897.

The eviction could jeopardize a recent proposal to incorporate trolleys into Brooklyn Bridge Park, the $150 million, 70-acre sliver of green that is being built along the waterfront.

Diamond says he'll have to dismantle the cars to remove them because his rail lines were severed when a barge hit the Red Hook pier in August 2001. "This is irreplaceable equipment, but I'll have to break it all apart to get it out of there," he said. "This is like letting Penn Station be destroyed."

The Brooklyn Navy Yard is housing 12 more Diamond-owned trolleys - and has threatened to evict Diamond and sell his cars for scrap, he said. All 17 of Diamond's cars have been gathering dust since his plan to build a trolley link to the F train fell through last year.

"I love Bob Diamond, but I have no choice but to evict him," said landlord Greg O'Connell, who has given Diamond space for free. "There are other nonprofits that could use the space and make a real contribution to the neighborhood."


A short response to this article was posted in a subsequent issue of the NY Post

 


2002-2011 Brooklyn Historic Railway Association, Brooklyn, NY.
All rights reserved.
Web design by Brian Kassel